Announcement!!!

Please take note that I'll no longer actively update this blog. Do visit Cindy's Lovely Life in future. This blog will update only when necessary (paid post). LOL! Kindly update my link in your blogs accordingly, do let me know if I've yet to put your link in my new blog.

Thanks!!!

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The best city to live in - Ipoh

If you ask me "where is the best city to live in?", I'll shout out "Ipoh".

Why Ipoh?

Because Ipoh is the place where I was born, was brought up and grown up in. I found hubby in Ipoh, married to him in Ipoh too. I have all my sweet and sour memories here in Ipoh.

Some history lesson:

Ipoh developed into one of Malaysia's main cities due to the booming tin mining industry around the turn of the 19th century. During the British colonial era, Ipoh was Malaysia's second city for administration purposes. There are several notable buildings from the British Colonial era such as the railway station and the town hall. 70% of Ipoh's population is of Chinese origin.

The name Ipoh derives from a local tree, pohon epu or now more commonly known as pokok ipoh. The sap of this plant is poisonous and was used by Orang Asli (indigenous people) to coat the tips of the darts of their blowpipes.

Ipoh was formerly known as "Paloh" (Chinese: 壩羅) among local Chinese, referring to the gigantic mining pump used for early tin ore extraction. It was also called "the Town built on Tin" (Chinese: 锡城) and "City of Millionaires", referring to the vast fortunes made during the boom of the tin mining industries.

Other nicknames include "The Bougainvillea City" and "Shan Cheng" (Chinese: 山城) which means "The Hill City" in the Cantonese dialect.

These days Ipoh is best known for its excellent restaurants, wonderful caves, beautiful temples and famous local dishes. Ipoh is also best known for giving birth to pretty girls!

2 comments:

Willy said...

Ipoh - Must be nice city - Never been to Maylasia.

10-4 Willy

Cindy said...

Do visit Malaysia when you have the time!